Some general rules for Firefox 10+, some for Palemoon and other Gecko-powered browsersHow to install FDM to work properly with Firefox?
1. Always disable and/or uninstall other download helpers in your browser before installing FDM. Some actions require restarting browser to be finished.
2. Close your browser after successful uninstall and use task manager to make sure the browser process is no more active.
3. If you use more than one profile in Firefox, run Firefox with every profile and repeat actions from steps 1-2. If needed, do the same for Palemoon (or any other Gecko-powered browser) and its profiles.
4. Run FDM installer as Administrator.
5. Do not install separate FDM plugin for Firefox if you are installing the newest FDM (beta/RC) version.
6. If you use other Gecko-powered browsers that are not specified in FDM Monitoring options, you should create a new profile in your browser using folders defined for Firefox to create a new profile in your browser. That way you can monitor other browsers with Firefox monitoring turned on.
7. Every non-trivial program must be configured. In this case you must at least use FDM Options to turn on Firefox monitoring.
8. Run your browser. It should inform you that a new addon is installed and ask you to confirm it.How to fix broken FDM plugin for Firefox installation?
1. Download the newest FDM version (it may be beta/RC).
2. Go to your old FDM options and disable Firefox monitoring.
3. Run Firefox, use Add-ons menu and go to extensions list, then disable and uninstall (if possible) broken FDM plugin.
4. If you use more than one profile in Firefox, run Firefox with every profile and repeat actions from step 3. If needed, do the same for Palemoon (or any other Gecko-powered browser) and its profiles.
5. Close your browser and make sure the FDM plugin is really deleted from all the browser folders.
A) Locate your browser profile directory, for Firefox it's %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
- Go to every profile-name
\extensions subdirectory and delete email@example.com
file or subdirectory if present.
You may not find folders if you haven't changed folder options to show hidden or system folders and files. Folder options you can find in Explorer menu or in Control Panel.
B) Check your browser extensions subdirectory, for Firefox up to 20.0.1 it's
C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Firefox\extensions in 32-bit Windows or
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla\Firefox\extensions in 64-bit Windows
and delete firstname.lastname@example.org
file or subdirectory if present here.
For Firefox 21+ you should check locations described below:
\extensions in 32-bit Windows or
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla\Firefox\browser
\extensions in 64-bit Windows
C) Remove startup cache data from all your browser profiles
- Locate your browser cache directory, for Firefox it's %APPDATA%\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
- Go to every profile-name
\startupCache subdirectory and delete startupCache.4.little file.
6. If you use other Gecko-powered browsers, repeat actions from step 5, using proper locations for every browser and its profiles.
7. Close your old FDM and uninstall it.
8. Make sure that FDM plugin is deleted.
A) Go to directory
"C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager" in 32-bit Windows or
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Free Download Manager" in 64-bit Windows
and delete Firefox subdirectory if present.
B) Go to directory
C:\ProgramData - in Windows Vista and newes OS-es or
"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data" - in Windows XP (WARNING! "Applicaton Data" is a localized name, f.e. in Polish it is "Dane aplikacji")
and delete "Free Download Manager" subdirectory if present
9. Run a new FDM installer as Administrator.
10. Make sure that "Free Download Manager\Firefox" subdirectory (see p. 6) exists now and contains non-empty extension subdirectory with proper plugin version (locate and read install.rdf).
11. Run FDM, go to Options menu and turn on Firefox monitoring. Make sure that now your browser profiles (see step 5A) contains email@example.com
12. Run your browser. It should inform you that a new addon is installed and ask you to confirm it.